A colouring book for learning the structure and function of animals. Begins with parts of the microscope and progresses through the kingdoms. Contains 9 plates of piglet dissection diagrams and 9 relevant to cane toads.
Anatomical colouring-in is a popular teaching tool for a variety of reasons, including:
– Colouring-in is fun and appeals to all levels and types of learners,
– Diagrams reinforce the relationship of one body part to another,
– Colouring-in highlights the details of anatomy as well as the big picture,
– Colour coding is a tried and true method for many different industries so the skills learned can be applied elsewhere,
– Assists in memorising parts of the body, developing motor skills, is a fun mathematics activity for sequential numbering and numeral identification and introduces new vocabulary to enhance science literacy.
Learning can be extended by:
– investigating the same body part in a different species and identifying analogous structures,
– investigating the structures of each section in the diagram,
– investigating the body parts attached to the next section of the diagram and building a broad and detailed knowledge of anatomy and physiology.